Tuesday, September 22, 2009

And just like that.

So nearly six months have passed since I realized I would be losing my job at the end of the school year and that has meant nearly six months of looking for a job. So many resumes sent, so much time spent on edjoin.org and so many bouts of depression. Less than a week before school started I was invited to a job fair through Partnership for L.A. Schools and in less than 30 minutes I was hired to teach at Markham Middle School as a Long Term Sub. I was pretty happy. Then a phone call about two weeks ago telling me my name was coming up soon to be rehired as a permanent teacher. Then nothing.

Yesterday I asked my principal if he knew who I should call about the situation to see when it might actually happen. He gave me a number to a specific person who is a "friend" of Markham. I called, she answered, she remembered my name, looked it up and told me my assignment letter had been mailed on Friday and that as of September 14, 2009 I was rehired as a permanent teacher. Just Like That. Craziness. They hired me back before they ever sent my cobra package!

I shared this with my students today as my "good thing." They clapped and then they asked me if I wanted to be a teacher when I was little. Which, by the way, I did. And now I am and I am so appreciative of all my friends, family and colleagues who have given me so much support and hung in there even when I was less than fun to be around.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment